Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 22 February 2017

MEANINGLESS GOALS

Dearest Friends,
A farmer had a dog who used to sit by the roadside waiting for vehicles to come around. As soon as one came, he would run down the road, barking and trying to overtake it.
One day, in good humour, a neighbour asked the farmer, “Do you think your dog is ever going to catch a car?”
The farmer replied, “That is not what bothers me. What bothers me is what he would do if he ever caught one.”
When I read this story, I first laughed out loud. I too had experienced dogs chasing the car I was sitting in. I could clearly visualise the scenario described above. Then, the wisdom of the farmers statement struck me.
That dog was pursuing meaningless goals.
The same evening, I took stock of the goals I had. I was a little scared. ‘What if the goals I have are meaningless goals?’
To my dismay I had so many meaningless goals. I was aghast and a tad ashamed too. Fortunately, with a simple question to myself I dropped all these goals. Here are a few of them as I remember…
I want that award. What then?
I should be famous. What then?
I want that luxury car. What then?
I should have a bigger house. What then?
I want to see India win the world cup. What then?
I want that unshaven look that is a rage today. What then?
I should be interviewed by a national newspaper. What then?
I should be an invitee in the most happening parties. What then?
My phone is working fine yet I want that fancy new phone. What then?
In any social gathering, people should recognize my presence. What then?
Even today, conspicuously, meaningless goals, enter in my head. I just smile at them and ask the same question, “What then?” and save myself.
With love, prayers and exceptional wishes,
naren
Imagine, when we wake up, we are given only what we had thanked for.

No comments:

Post a Comment